Dorsi Lynn Diaz continues to produce remarkable and visionary climate artwork as she prepares for upcoming events and climate change art shows. Her creations will be displayed at The Sun Gallery running from June 19 – July 27, 2014. In Climate Change: Ten Facts You Need to Know, I’m pleased to once again feature her creative work. (Editor ~ RMontpellier-BoomerWarrior).
Her latest graphic showing a giraffe was part of a brochure for the Copenhagen Denmark climate conference. She calls it 10 Fast Facts about Climate Change. “I have found over the years that in order to communicate change well, it’s best to stick to the facts and make things simple and easy to read,” says Dorsi.
The facts are ones that I have gathered from various scientists and organizations such as the USDA (United States Dept. of Agriculture). The facts are in no particular order, they are all stunning and worrisome in their own way. Please feel free to leave a comment below.
Climate Change: Ten Fast Facts You Need to Know
1. Atmospheric CO2 is at the highest it has been in 15 million years, increasing at an unprecedented rate and now faster than ever.
2. Oceans are being acidified, faster than in the past 300 million years by atmospheric CO2.
3. 75% of California is in a severe drought. At the current usage rate, Ca. will run out of water in less than 2 years.
4. Anonymous billionaires donated 120 million dollars to more than 100 anti-climate groups working to discredit climate science.
5. Ice in the Arctic is melting at breakneck speed, something we have not seen during the history of mankind.
6. Large releases of super-warming methane into the atmosphere will cost the world over 60 Trillion dollars in damage.
7. 150-200 species of plants, insects, birds and mammals become extinct every 24 hours. This is nearly 1,000 times the “natural” rate.
8. “Climate change is responsible for 5 million deaths each year – 400,000 due to hunger and communicable diseases aggravated by climate change.”
9. Staying above 350 ppm CO2 for long, risks irreversible “catastrophic effects.” (we have been seeing over 400 ppm days now)
10. East Siberian shelf sub sea-floor solid methane gas hydrate is venting to the atmosphere and is capable “of causing a considerable and even a catastrophic warming on the earth.”
A Volatile Terrain: The Art of Climate Change art show and exhibit will be at The Sun Gallery at 1015 E St. in Hayward, Ca. from June 19 – July 27, 2014. To learn more about this project which originated as a Kickstarter project, you can read the full details about the project here: The Art of Climate Change and also at www.TheArtof ClimateChange.com. The Art of Climate Change is also Facebook
Sources: IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), Honisch 2012, USDA (United States Dept.of Agriculture), Robert Brulle: Drexel University sociologist, Professor Peter Wadhams, UN Environment Programme, etal in Oceanography.
Dorsi Diaz is a Writer, a Climate Change Activist and an Art Educator. She writes at HubPages and is also the climate change reporter for the San Francisco Examiner. Dorsi has been a working artist for over 25 years.