Anne Lappe of Food MythBusters has launched a second animated movie that takes on the myth of personal choice and exposes the harmful impact of marketing to kids. “We believe that marketing targeting children and teenagers is a public health crisis,” says Anne Lappe. BoomerWarrior is pleased to feature this disturbing video about the pervasive influence of food marketers on the young minds of children and teenagers.
- Food companies tell us they’re just doing their job, serving up what kids really want.
- But are those foods really what kids want or are they what corporations are pushing on kids?
- Food corporations spend nearly $2 billion per year on ads, promotions and sponsorships, specifically targeting children and teens on what’s cool to eat.
- One of three kids eats fast foods every day.
- Nearly half of calories that teens and kids eat are from fast foods.
- Only 16 percent are getting enough fruits and vegetables.
- Diet-related diseases are spiraling out of control – by the time students complete middle school, one out of three shows signs of diabetes.
- A typical kid sees nearly 5,000 TV ads for foods and drinks every year.
- Food experts have figured out the psychology of how kids think about food.
This video is pure genius. It will alarm you….
Published on September 26, 2013, standard YouTube license
Rolly Montpellier is the Founder and Managing Editor of BoomerWarrior.Org.
Rolly is also a registered Climate Leader (Climate Reality Leadership Corps) a blogger, an activist and a writer.
BoomerWarrior is for the socially aware and politically conscious; for the change-makers and thought-provokers; for the light and young at heart; for anyone willing and courageous enough to move forward.