Over seventy five percent (75%) of Canadians are truly worried about climate change and want a climate action agenda that is more bold and ambitious. Unfortunately, most supporters—45% of the Canadian public—fall into the muddled “moveable middle” where the demand for action is much less than the concern over climate.
Climate Change and the Muddled “Moveable Middle”
Key take-home points from a March 2021 presentation on Canadians’ opinions on the climate crisis from Climate Access were:
- Most Canadians agree global warming is a crisis
- But 89% think we’re average or better than most countries
- Most Canadians can’t name a climate policy
- Sadly, less than 50% of Canadians can correctly name a GHG too
- Happily, most Canadians see the COVID crisis as a good time to act
- Importantly, most (45%) supporters fall into a muddled “moveable middle” and we should consider them the most when communicating
Think of somebody you know who’s in the moveable middle
We are clearly in a climate emergency. Most Canadians recognize that we are in crisis, but public support is not reliable. The moveable middle is an important target audience. How would you reach the moveable middle to help them better understand carbon pricing? Think of somebody you know that is in this population segment. How might you talk to them to move them from concerned to alarmed and armed with realistic ideas specifically about carbon pricing?
Webinar: What Canadians Think About Climate
In case you missed it:
Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS): A Death Sentence For the Planet
Message to Justin Trudeau: Canada’s on Fire – Act Like It
Accelerating Climate Impacts Setting Off Alarm Bells Worldwide
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.